• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

‘Holy Grail of Atari Games’ Sells for $10,000

zluigi56

Verified Member
Rare Atari 2600 game Red Sea Crossing sold for $10,400 at auction this weekend. Sold on GameGavel, the cartridge is referred to as “the Holy Grail of Atari games” by the seller and “was not even known to exist" until he discovered it.

Red Sea Crossing was created by an independent programmer in 1983 and was discovered by the seller at a garage sale in 2007. “It turns out this game was not even known to exist until I found it,” the seller wrote in the auction’s description. “An AtariAge member used the internet to track down the programmer and I spoke with him and got some more information. He said from what he could remember he advertised it in a local religious magazine but couldn't remember the name. In August of 2011 another AtariAge member found the original ad laying to rest that the game was indeed released in 1983.”

The auction began at $100 on August 29th and ran through September 9th, ending at $10,400 overall. According to a GameGavel spokesperson, the auction makes Red Sea Crossing “the most expensive loose Atari 2600 cart ever sold at auction to date.” “Loose” is a term used to describe a cartridge without its original box or packaging.

Sorry if it was a bit long. ~
zluigi56 - source http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/10/holy-grail-of-atari-games-sells-for-10000?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

queenzelda

Verified Member
Ha what I found most interesting was this bit of the article which you just skimped past;

Just recently, a similarly rare Final Fantasy NES prototype hit eBay, though that auction was ultimately removed.

xp I would have LOVED to have known which prototype Final Fantasy game that was on sale yo.

aboleth_lich

Verified Member
If this game is about crossing the Red Sea, as its name suggests: then shouldn't it be "The Ark of the Covenant of Atari 2600 games" instead of "The Holy Grail of Atari 2600 games"? They've gotten their Old and New Testaments all mixed up! :playful:

JoshSmith100

Verified Member
DAMNNNN

Wish I had this game. Thats crazy to think a old video game could be worth 5 figures. I guess you never really know until you go through your old collection of video games.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements