• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Buy a Switch now, or wait?

Get one, or wait?

• Get

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Wait

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

JakeEMT-P

Thread starter #1
So, my mom asked if I wanted a Switch for Christmas this year. It seems practical, since I’m in paramedic school and I can bring it with me while doing fourteen hour clinicals at the fire station.

Here’s my dilemma:
I’ve been reading that next summer there will be a new and upgraded Switch, and that it will have a better screen, more functions, etc..
This seems to all speculation at this point, but I would be absolutely pissed if they announce a new Switch for the same price, just months after I get mine.

With other systems, the “slim” models seem to be mostly esthetic upgrades, and effect nothing extremely important. However, if this is a true upgrade (xbone to one x, etc..) then I would much rather wait and get a better one next Christmas..

What do you think? Is there a huge risk of investing in a switch right now? (..being that it would will drop immensely in value if a refined version was released..)

Thanks for your help.
- Jake

Flash

Your over thinking it, second your too old for your mom to be buying video games. This literally had me laughing my ass off! Honestley though i’d wait just to see what they do. I dislike nintendo money grab schemes anytime they drop a new console they phase out all of the accesories, games, memory card etc and that could possibly happen with a newer switch. I hope it doesnt but i’ll buy three more if the update is worth it. Then again this could be just a software update and if thats it i would say you should’nt have waited.On the flip side if its a new more powerful switch running all games at 1080p docked 60-90fps with support for higher refresh/hz 90-120, then memory card support for uhsII for faster reading/writing speeds, better bluetooth, audio jack port in joy cons and pro controllers, then that would be worth the wait. I’d personally wait unless you wanted one of the special consoles coming out. Appreciate your service as well.

JakeEMT-P

Thread starter #3
Your over thinking it, second your too old for your mom to be buying video games. This literally had me laughing my ass off! Honestley though i’d wait just to see what they do. I dislike nintendo money grab schemes anytime they drop a new console they phase out all of the accesories, games, memory card etc and that could possibly happen with a newer switch. I hope it doesnt but i’ll buy three more if the update is worth it. Then again this could be just a software update and if thats it i would say you should’nt have waited.On the flip side if its a new more powerful switch running all games at 1080p docked 60-90fps with support for higher refresh/hz 90-120, then memory card support for uhsII for faster reading/writing speeds, better bluetooth, audio jack port in joy cons and pro controllers, then that would be worth the wait. I’d personally wait unless you wanted one of the special consoles coming out. Appreciate your service as well.
Yeah, it sucks that my mom still wants to buy me stuff.. oh wait, no it doesn’t at all.
Thanks for the input!

Flash

She going to buy your gf or wife roses and wedding ring for you to? Hahaha well i hope she spoils your kids when you have them. No problem. Im shooting the shit with you if you cant tell. Hshaha

Nintendo X

The Legend
Staff member
So, my mom asked if I wanted a Switch for Christmas this year. It seems practical, since I’m in paramedic school and I can bring it with me while doing fourteen hour clinicals at the fire station.

Here’s my dilemma:
I’ve been reading that next summer there will be a new and upgraded Switch, and that it will have a better screen, more functions, etc..
This seems to all speculation at this point, but I would be absolutely pissed if they announce a new Switch for the same price, just months after I get mine.

With other systems, the “slim” models seem to be mostly esthetic upgrades, and effect nothing extremely important. However, if this is a true upgrade (xbone to one x, etc..) then I would much rather wait and get a better one next Christmas..

What do you think? Is there a huge risk of investing in a switch right now? (..being that it would will drop immensely in value if a refined version was released..)

Thanks for your help.
- Jake
In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about this "new" Nintendo Switch. Most likely it's going to be a revision of Nintendo Switch, where they fix issues with Nintendo Switch. I highly doubt it's going to be like PlayStation Pro, Xbox One X, Nintendo 3DS, which they were all upgrades to the actual hardware. If it is going to be a new hardware, the most it would be is a redesign, like New Nintendo 3DS.

BTW, Welcome! :)

JakeEMT-P

Thread starter #7
My biggest concern with a revision is that it will have a better screen. I know from my PSP that slim does not always mean better, but resolution is a game changer for me.
In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about this "new" Nintendo Switch. Most likely it's going to be a revision of Nintendo Switch, where they fix issues with Nintendo Switch. I highly doubt it's going to be like PlayStation Pro, Xbox One X, Nintendo 3DS, which they were all upgrades to the actual hardware. If it is going to be a new hardware, the most it would be is a redesign, like New Nintendo 3DS.

BTW, Welcome! :)
Thank you for the thorough reply. If it’s like DS to DS lite, I won’t care a single bit. I had both of those and it’s really more personal preference as to which is better. Most systems seem to be like this. My concern is a higher resolution screen. If it has the same cpu, gpu, and display, I would have no problem getting the current model now instead of waiting for this new revision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nintendo X

The Legend
Staff member
My biggest concern with a revision is that it will have a better screen. I know from my PSP that slim does not always mean better, but resolution is a game changer for me.
That's a revision, though. Not an upgrade. In that case, Sony was trying to cut costs of PSP/PSVita through removing a problematic screen, and replacing it with a cheaper, easier to repair screen. PSPGo for another example isn't just a revision, it removes UMD to make things cheaper.
If it’s like DS to DS lite, I won’t care a single bit. I had both of those and it’s really more personal preference as to which is better. Most systems seem to be like this. My concern is a higher resolution screen. If it has the same cpu, gpu, and display, I would have no problem getting the current model now instead of waiting for this new revision.
We don't know what the revision will entail. PSVita had a model revision a year after launch, it removed the legendary OLED screen. I say legendary, because people after all this time - still wish Sony kept the OLED screen. It's what made the screen so crisp. The problem though, it causes black spots on the screen.

Nintendo Switch is fine as it is, but the problem is that there are a few things happening right now: Nintendo faced a lawsuit from a company that sells periperals that attaches a sort-of controller to your phone, tablet, whatever. Nintendo can easily beat the lawsuit, but normally, when this happens it causes revisions. Sony got sued for the Sixaxis controller, and Sony removed not just the Sixaxis branding, but also removed the rumble technology that came with the original PS3. The other thing that's happening is that the GPU that came with Switch has (TEGRA X1) an exploit. Nintendo patched the system, but hackers always finds a way to do something. If they want homebrew, it's gonna get done.

Flash

That's a revision, though. Not an upgrade. In that case, Sony was trying to cut costs of PSP/PSVita through removing a problematic screen, and replacing it with a cheaper, easier to repair screen. PSPGo for another example isn't just a revision, it removes UMD to make things cheaper.

We don't know what the revision will entail. PSVita had a model revision a year after launch, it removed the legendary OLED screen. I say legendary, because people after all this time - still wish Sony kept the OLED screen. It's what made the screen so crisp. The problem though, it causes black spots on the screen.

Nintendo Switch is fine as it is, but the problem is that there are a few things happening right now: Nintendo faced a lawsuit from a company that sells periperals that attaches a sort-of controller to your phone, tablet, whatever. Nintendo can easily beat the lawsuit, but normally, when this happens it causes revisions. Sony got sued for the Sixaxis controller, and Sony removed not just the Sixaxis branding, but also removed the rumble technology that came with the original PS3. The other thing that's happening is that the GPU that came with Switch has (TEGRA X1) an exploit. Nintendo patched the system, but hackers always finds a way to do something. If they want homebrew, it's gonna get done.
Yep definitely agree. 2 buddies and i already hacked the new switch took 48 hours to do it but it was a lot harder and its unstable at the moment. If people want to hack their switch it’s their right. Its their darn switch not nintendos. I dont remember signing any agreement to not do it haha. It would be nice to see oled screen! My alienware has one and its nice no issue for the two years i owned it. I think the major issue will be educating people on oled and the quality of the panel. Cant just rock 100% brightness for hours otherwise you’re asking for burn ins. On my iphone x my brightness doesnt go above 25% for regular use unless its bright outside. Then again nintendo is a kid system so a lot of kids will screw it up.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements