• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Can the Wii be considered 'retro' now?

queenzelda

Verified Member
What are your thoughts on this. I mean the Wii U is out now and there won't be any more Wii games made any more. So is the Wii console retro or will it take time for the Wii console to become a 'retro' console?

JamestheFreak

Cmon man it's way too early to think something like this, some people don't even consider N64 retro yet.

Maybe when we perfect virtual reality video games then the wii can be considered retro.

jvgsjeff

Verified Member
I agree with James. I think it's still too early to call the Wii or GameCube retro. When I think of retro games, I mainly think of 16-bit era and older. You could make a case for the N64 and original PlayStation to fit into that category now too, but definitely not Wii.

FyreeTSG

Banned
anything 21st century will never be retro--unless it's a cartridge, which is why N64 IS, and Wii and GC will never be "RETRO"...

Especially if Nintendo keeps it going with backwards compatibility---GC was playable on Wii, and Wii is playable on Wii U---and I bet Wii U games will be playable on the NEXT console, cause Nintendo can continue to make MORE Money that way(unlike Sony/MS's tactics)--

Plus the Wii was the first FULLY-Web-connected console for Nintendo, and in this digital age we're moving to, there's more life in such consoles and games than there would be otherwise.

---From a Collectors standpoint, I'm not overly ready to concede to calling GC or Wii in the same breath as NES, SNES, and N64--PLUS carts are a lot more resilient over time to keep working, than discs--which will break, scratch, warp, etc--eventually.

NES carts still work 30 years later, but I'm not gonna bet my Wii or GC games will still be THAT functional in another couple decades--PLUS the fact that most gaming will be done digitally within that time frame pretty much knocks out any chance of Wii/GC or future disc games from as long-lasting.
But the Collectors market WILL be booming once said "RETRO" games hit it, and you'll start seeing a revolution for "classic disc games"--along side their ACTUAL "Retro" counterparts from the 80's and 90's

Mason

Verified Member
I disagree with you Fyree because if you never consider anything nowadays will be 'retro' then what will you call it 20 years from now? I mean I bet 20 years ago people would've said the same thing about consoles of that time and look at them now.

I say eventually on down the road but not for like 15 or 20 years from now, especially since the Wii U has backwards compatibility and it still has several years in front of it.

I'd also say the GC is well on its way to becoming 'retro' even though it's still not there by a long shot, but give it say around 10 years give or take.

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
You have to ask several questions as to whether or not a system is "Retro".

1. How long ago was the system released?

2. How long ago was it discontinued?

3. Are there currently any games, accessories, and promotions being produced or released for it?

4. Is the media medium used for it still relevant (As in, is it still being used currently as the major distribution medium)?

-----------------------------------------

In the Gamecube's sense it would be:

1. - 2001, which is WELL OVER TEN YEARS AGO!

2. - 2007 and we're almost in 2014! Clearly a relic by now.

3. - No.

4. - No.

This means...

THE GAMECUBE IS RETRO YOU NAIVE AND SILLY PEOPLE! I CANNOT SERIOUSLY FATHOM HOW IT WOULD NOT BE RETRO AFTER SO MUCH TIME HAS PASSED SINCE ITS RELEVANCE! THIS ISN'T EVEN A MATTER OF OPINION! SERIOUSLY! HOW COULD IT NOT BE!? WHEN SOMETHING HAS NOT BEEN RELEVANT FOR AN ENTIRE DECADE IT IS RETRO. WHEN THE 70s DIED AND THE 80s ROLLED IN, DISCO BECAME RETRO - THERE WAS A 10 YEAR GAP OR DECADE IN-BETWEEN THIS PHENOMENON!

MY GOD!

The Wii was launched in 2006 and it has been six years since its debut. It has been currently discontinued in 2012 and is currently on the way out.

So no, the Wii is not retro yet.

BUT FUNNILY ENOUGH!

The SEGA Dreamcast is NOT a Retro System! Despite being released in the same Era as the PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox, the SEGA Dreamcast is well alive and kicking on the underground scene as Fans have been making Fan-Made Games for it.

Some games being released as recent as two years ago in 2011.

Due to the activity of the system, while not on the map, it means that the Dreamcast is FAR from retro! However the Official Games made for it ARE retro! It is in some underground limbo!

queenzelda

Verified Member
But why should it take so long for a console to be considered retro when the next gen is released for any said system?

I think of the Dreamcast as retro even if games are still being released for it..... xp

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
queenzelda said:
But why should it take so long for a console to be considered retro when the next gen is released for any said system?

Because it is still relevant? Wii games are still being played on the Wii U? Its choice of medium has yet to be replaced by something better?

When Wii games and its accessories, etc. are out of cycle than they will fade into retro status obscurity. Such was the case with the Gamecube.

queenzelda said:
I think of the Dreamcast as retro even if games are still being released for it..... xp

Well the fact that it's still having games released for it attributes to the fact that it is not retro in the slightest due to its medium still being used and produced. Thereby it is still relevant even while it is not mainstream in the slightest.

However because Official Games and such for it are no longer currently relevant, they can be considered retro while the system itself can be considered underground.

This isn't opinion, this is fact. You thinking of it as retro, is of course, opinion. =P

queenzelda

Verified Member
So.......... The fact that PS2 titles are still being released & purchased via the PSN doens't account for anything huh? =p Same could be said for NES, & SNES titles via the eshop channel.

I say if Gamestop STOPS selling titles of any said system it's retro. Also.. I'm not alone in thinking this but there ya go.

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
queenzelda said:
So.......... The fact that PS2 titles are still being released & purchased via the PSN doens't account for anything huh? =p Same could be said for NES, & SNES titles via the eshop channel.

Those aren't actual physical copies of games, they are either ports or HD Remakes that are neither distributed or played on the very system they were made for years ago. This does not make them relevant, this just makes them available for people who want some good ol' nostalgia on their current gen systems.

However, and this is just me speaking, I think we should let some titles die instead of giving them ports and remakes. Like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time which has had a port for every Nintendo Console since its inception! From the Gamecube's Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition Disc and Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, to the Wii's Shopping Channel, to hell, the Nintendo 3DS remake...

Just let it die Nintendo! Please!

Ocarina of Time is the Nintendo Version of Final Fantasy VII, the company just won't let it die and the mindless peons of fans demand more of it!

I guess the fan base will get the franchise it deserves, but is this really all you want? Yes, these are games I like, games I love.

Do I want to play a new installment of the same thing every few years? No! The fastest way to spoil your pleasures is to make them routine. Variety is the spice of life and status quo is the starch. The star that shines brightest is all the more glorious for its brevity!

queenzelda said:
I say if Gamestop STOPS selling titles of any said system it's retro. Also.. I'm not alone in thinking this but there ya go.

Again. Opinion. Which you are entitled to, and as are any others who agree with you and share the same sentiment.

Erik

Verified Member
Well Retro doesn't just mean old. It also has to regain popularity or influence in modern gaming somehow. There are plenty of old crappy games but they aren't retro.

jvgsjeff

Verified Member
Erik said:
Well Retro doesn't just mean old. It also has to regain popularity or influence in modern gaming somehow. There are plenty of old crappy games but they aren't retro.

I'd agree if you were describing the word classic, not retro. For example, I'd consider a bad NES game retro, but not classic.

Erik

Verified Member
Well, the normal use of the word retro means something that was once popular, had become unpopular for some time and then started to become an influence on modern things. This happens a lot with clothing, art and furniture but not so much with technology because of its nature. Technology is always about becoming more advanced, so taking inspiration from something older is rare. One exception in video games is the mini games available on Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. Many of them use blocky 8-bit graphics as an art style or are side scroller style games which used to be very popular before consoles were powerful enough to render 3D games.

queenzelda

Verified Member
Well what I think is funny is that I've seen a report for not only a new SNES game to be released but a few PS2 games as well. So I suppose retro gaming is back & NEW. Or something; so what we may all think of as retro will have a come back from how it seems.

Erik

Verified Member
queenzelda said:
Well what I think is funny is that I've seen a report for not only a new SNES game to be released but a few PS2 games as well. So I suppose retro gaming is back & NEW. Or something; so what we may all think of as retro will have a come back from how it seems.

Woah, that's really interesting. I didn't think making games for those platforms would be economically viable anymore but I suppose it was also much less demanding to create games for the SNES (smaller development teams, lower budget).

averus

Verified Member
I don't think the Wii can get the "Retro" status just yet.
Not because it isn't old, but because it isn't retro :)

In a couple of years, when Playstation 4 graphics look "silly and lame", the Wii will be retro for sure

AlexKid

Verified Member
While the Wii can't quite be considered retro yet, it certainly does have a retro console feel to it. I think VC (Virtual Console) helps in some way to foster this idea. After all, the Wii is the one modern console where you have such a large selection of classic games that you can play legally. Retro game collections and downloads on the competing platforms are sparse by comparison. Ironically, I felt that the Wii also boasted some of the most cutting edge games released in the previous generation. Games like MadWorld and Sin & Punishment 2 showcased so many ideas and techniques that have yet to be accomplished on more powerful hardware.