• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Character Discussion #21: Samus/Zero Suit Samus

How often do you choose Samus/Zero Suit Samus?

• Total voters

Volke

Verified Member
Samus/Zero Suit Samus

Tier Rank: G (33)​

Moveset:
Standard Special Move: Charge Shot

Side Special Move: Missile

Up Special Move: Screw Attack

Down Special Move: Bomb

Final Smash: Zero Laser

Tier Rank: B (12)​

Moveset:
Standard Special Move: Paralyzer

Side Special Move: Plasma Whip

Up Special Move: Plasma Wire

Down Special Move: Flip Jump

Final Smash: Power Suit Samus

Overall Character Ranking: 8/10

In my honest opinion I prefer to fight using Zero Suit Samus rather then regular Samus because she is faster and has better moves. She can also kill light weights and heavies with ease, but she does have problems with medium characters. Overall though, she is an excellent fighter :D

Last edited by a moderator:

FyreeTSG

Banned
9/10--she's HOT!! :D

yeah, I prefer ZSS too--cause she's alot quicker...
I don't like her FS, cause she just gets her suit back...
but I do love Suit'ed Samus' FS--a BIG ol' blast....

Volke

Verified Member
Hahaha xD wow

The Paralyzer is a really great weapon, it can stun grab and attack :D

Friik

Verified Member
ZSS was my character of choice as soon as I saw her to be a playable character.
I tried many times to get better with her, but not much happened.
I honestly dislike her moveset, seems a bit weak, or it's just me because I've seen godly players use her correctly.
:confused2:

JamestheFreak

I prefer Samus with her armor on. In my opinion the whole Zero suit thing is stupid and in Brawl they sexualize her with it. I want my strong female bounty hunter not some eye candy!

I wish the Phazon suit from Metroid Prime could of been an alt costume instead of the crappy fusion suit.

FyreeTSG

Banned
I'm just not a huge fan of her FS as ZSS--
she gets her suit back---that's a WASTE of a Smashball if you ask me...
I'd want some sort of ACTUAL Attack...

JamestheFreak

Well the whole ZS thing is useless, it was never canon until Metroid Zero Mission and because so many fans drool all over it they started putting it in the games as the special ending when you beat the game under a certain time or getting 100%. Also Samus has been looking more like an anime character ever since the ZS has been around. She looked more like a real person before they introduced it, Metroid Prime 1 Samus is the best example of her looking realistic. Well I think I'll stop ranting about this before I get out of hand.

Volke

Verified Member
FyreeTSG said:
I'm just not a huge fan of her FS as ZSS--
she gets her suit back---that's a WASTE of a Smashball if you ask me...
I'd want some sort of ACTUAL Attack...

It is an actual attack, it does hurt enemies that are close to her and throws them backwards.It kinda works like Kirby's FS but not with the range that he gets from it.

Mason

Verified Member
7/10 I actually prefer Samus over ZSS. Even though Samus isnt ranked as high as ZSS I prefer Samus' moveset over ZSS and easier to control.

aboleth_lich

Verified Member
Personally, I much prefer Samus' traditional armour to the Zero Suit.

In general, I fully understand the appeal behind injecting abject sexuality into a franchise's characters as it's being developed. Moreover, the femme fatale in a skin-tight jumpsuit image ala Black Widow, Catwoman, Emma Peel, etc is usually particularly well suited to a character who is a bounty hunter, assassian, spy, etc. And I am indeed a big fan of such characters.

However, it's a different matter entirely when we're talking about a well-established character who has existed for decades and whose sexuality was completely irrelevant and superfluous to her appeal. In the earlier Metroid games, Samus' gender was totally irrelevant to her character and Nintendo rightfully felt no need whatsoever to superfluously inject sex appeal into her character. It was enough that she was a lone, badass bounty hunter in an intimidating and practical bulky battle suit. At the time of the first Metroid game, back in the 1980's: it was a rather positive feminist move on the part of Nintendo to cast a woman into a such a traditionally masculine badass role without the accompaniment of an appeal to superfluous sexual objectification!

As such, in the very specific case of Metroid's Samus Aran: I feel like this change from the traditional battle armour to the Zero Suit is a major step backwards for her character!

The Zero Suit truly brings to mind the Justin Bailey codes from earlier Metroid games, which replaced Samus' battle armour with laughable swimsuits. It moreover also brings to mind the Samus Aran episode of Doug Walker's Video Game Confessions series that mocks the sexualization of such a character via the Zero Suit and the Justin Bailey codes!

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements