• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Data Transfer Confirmed!

Thread starter #1
THANK YOU NINTENDO!!

Okay, this was the LAST concern I had--and my, and everyone else's prayers have been answered!!

Wii U WILL be able to support Data transfer from Wii---meaning ALL the Wii VC and WiiWare games you have will be able to be transferred from Wii TO Wii U!!

Nintendo is currently working on a system to do so, and I know they'll have it up and working by the time Wii U launches later this year.

The answer came in a Q&A session, with one of Nintendo's producers giving us ALL a smile:

We are readying the system to be able to transfer saves and everything you've bought.
No word as to HOW it will work, whether or not you'll need to have your Wii present--maybe it'll work Via SD Card, or some Wii Update.....??

BUT It's happening, and I couldn't be happier.

---FyreeTSG

Source:
NintendoLife.com

queenzelda

Verified Member
Idk about all saves though seeing as some games you can't even save to SD card atm. Same with some WiiVC games. Game saves such as Animal Crossing City Folk can't be transferred to an SD card & neither can the WiiVC game Final Fantasy 4 After Years either so I hope this update includes saves for titles that can't be transferred to the SD card currently.. Some games saves you can take to your SD card, same with the Virtual console games but there are a choice few that you can't do a save to SD card with..

So it should be interesting to see what Nintendo has in store for those games (& maybe game saves as well) that would need to get a transfer.

Thread starter #4
yeah--but I know Nintendo will probably have ALL Data covered--if they're doing WiiWare and VC than they'll HAVE to do the rest, just to keep their future Wii U owners happy

Mason

Verified Member
I'm sure they will come up with some way to transfer the stuff you can't with an SD card. You might have to take it to like a store to get them to transfer the data or something. Or there might ba a connection between the two systems somehow.

Thread starter #6
I know they'll link Wii U eShop to the 3DS eShop---so I'm thinking we might get a HUGE update to the Wii that will allow us to Synch our Wii Shop account to them as well...

We'll need a Wii update for sure though

Rokusho

The process to transfer from the DSi to the 3DS is crazy. I had already sold my DSi so I lost all the games I downloaded. I think it would be a much easier process if they could use our Club Nintendo accounts to verify that we actually paid for the games we want to transfer! :eek:dd: I hope the Wii to Wii U transfer process will be easy.

Thread starter #10
the way it seems, is Nintendo will be doing Joint eShop accounts, linking 3DS and Wii U to each other--so I'd think that would part of the "transfer" process...

queenzelda

Verified Member
FyreeTSG said:
the way it seems, is Nintendo will be doing Joint eShop accounts, linking 3DS and Wii U to each other--so I'd think that would part of the "transfer" process...
Um.. Then my question becomes this: How would that help transferring Wii game saves to the WiiU though? The Wii shop channel is nothing like the eshop for the 3DS is & no one knows for sure how the WiiU shop channel will look like but Nintendo atm.. :eek:dd:

Thread starter #12
well you'll be able to transfer WiiWare/VC games from Wii-to-Wii U---which could be added to your Wii U's eShop account info...
basically Nintendo's gonna to have ONE eShop account for everyone if they have both Wii U and 3DS...and I could see them doing something fairly easy so we can have ALL our DL's on one account..
we won't be able to get refunds, or anything for the Wii DL's we have--but it'll be a decent system all together.

I still expect to hear MORE on the Wii Data Transfer sometime soon---and I don't think Nintendo will disappoint us.

Ash

Well what about retial game data?

Me and my brother share a Wii, I'm planning to put my Wii U in my room. He owns half the Wii games that I don't play, so if I transfered my data to my Wii U then that'll mean I also transfer his and then he'll just get pissed and beat me up or something.

Thread starter #14
Retail game data---I'd think it'd be included...the only concern I have is for Wifi game data...

but I'd assume anything on your SD Card would be transferrable

Ash

FyreeTSG said:
Retail game data---I'd think it'd be included...the only concern I have is for Wifi game data...

but I'd assume anything on your SD Card would be transferrable
I hope so. A lot of people thought you could transfer your DSiWare games to your 3DS with an SD card but you couldn't.

Thread starter #16
well, I think, for Wii U--and the fact that MOST people will get it, and sell their Wii--that Nintendo will have FULL Data transfer...

I'm still trying to find an update on this story

Thread starter #18
here's a bit more:

from Nintendo's Katsuya Eguchi:

“We are readying the system, yes, to transfer saves and everything you’ve bought.”
--so I'm assuming ALL retail game data is "YES"---I'm just more concerned about Online Games, like SSBB, and ACCF

Thread starter #20
I still have doubts...but anything saved on your SD card SHOULD be transferable.
Wifi data is my only concern...
cause I don't wanna lose my SSBB, ACCF, and Tetris Party data

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements