• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Emulators?

Erik

Verified Member
I know a lot of you like replaying some of the classics but do you really own a working classic console which you still use regularly? I think it is a lot more common these days for people to emulate games on their PCs or newer consoles. That way you get the best of both worlds.

So everyone, let's share our emulator setups in this thread?

queenzelda

Verified Member
My emulator is set up on my Wii using the hackmii mod for Wii consoles. I have a SNES emulator & A GBA emulator that I tend to use. I did have a Sega Saturn emulator set up for my Wii; but it didn't play emulated Sega Saturn games very well since the frame rate didn't seem to match. <.<

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik

Verified Member
GameBoy advance games must look really out of place on the big screen. I have a bunch of GB and GBA games on my PSP. The best part is that the emulator I was using had a feature to "rewind" so say you are playing some classic mario and run into a Goomba you can simply hold down the left trigger and rewind back a few seconds to before your death. Haha.

queenzelda

Verified Member
I don't mind it so much since I have a gameboy player hooked to my GC. It looks about the same really impo.

Erik

Verified Member
Oh, I remember I had always wanted one of those back when I used my GameCube more regularly. Completely forgot those existed.

queenzelda

Verified Member
Yup, only problem with using the GBP is that you have to use a disc in order to operate it & if you happen to get a gameboy player with out one; it's not very easy to find a disc for it; unless you buy one from Nintendo or from off of ebay. Anywho, back on topic.. xD

I have an emulator that I run from off of my Dell lubuntu pc that's called Higan. I used a different emulator; the zsnes, for when I captured pics from the Chrono Trigger fan game. :3

Erik

Verified Member
How old is your Dell PC? Because I know Lubuntu can run decently well on some very very VERY old hardware.

Yeah I do remember noticing the Linux style window manager when you posted those screenshots.

queenzelda

Verified Member
How old is your Dell PC? Because I know Lubuntu can run decently well on some very very VERY old hardware.
Yeah I do remember noticing the Linux style window manager when you posted those screenshots.
The one I'm using now? I just bought it refurbished so it's new to me. I have no idea how old it is though since I bought it off the internets. The computer I used before that had lubuntu on it was a Windows 7 starter: acer netbook, it's what I played the fan game using the zsnses with. ;3

Also lubuntu won't work on old pc's any longer. It only works now on newer pc's with newer components. The only way to get an older pc running is to use LXE, which is just not the way to go if you want to have a computer that can do more then one thing successfully.

Any who, this is turning into more of a conversation about my pc's then it is the emulators I run for them. XD I also would like to say that the GBA player emulator doesn't run with a gameshark for it when running it on the Wii. I wish there was; as I'd love to play with codes for games like Pokemon & the like. Ah well. xp

Jason Alan

Verified Member
My biggest happy bits when it comes to emulators are getting some PS1 and N64 games going, since those are a pain to emulate, and being able to play through the single Dreamcast game I played and enjoyed back when I was a kid. Oh, and with some difficulties I managed to get no$gba running for DS games, namely SoulSilver and the original Trauma Center. I stopped playing them because I'm lame and moody when it comes to games sometimes >_>;

Erik

Verified Member
Haha, don't worry. I am moody like that with games too sometimes.

I never tried PlayStation emulation because I guess none of the titles really interested me and I never owned one so I didn't get into it that much. But with the N64 I found it pretty pain free to emulate. Which emulator did you use? I do know that the hardware architecture of the N64 is a lot more powerful than the other consoles of the era and I actually studied the MIPS processor architecture in school, haha.

Jason Alan

Verified Member
I've used MUPEN and Project64 for a handful of games in the past. I think the problem is that my laptop isn't terribly powerful (and I'm using a laptop, that explains so much in the first place), plus anything that uses plugins is generally a pain in the neck. For PSX games it's generally the opposite, because the emulator I use, PSXfin, is plugin-less and has a massive compatibility list easily found via Google. And yeah, the N64 being a more powerful console (despite being cartridge-based) does contribute to my inability to play it without issues.

Erik

Verified Member
You must have a really terrible laptop, sorry man. I remember being able to emulate N64 games great using Daedalus on my PSP.

Jason Alan

Verified Member
It could be better. I think it's just exceptionally finicky with emulators sometimes, not terribly powerful, and I've loathed having to experiment with plug-ins for emulators. It's why PSXfin is a penny from heaven, 'cuz ePSXe doesn't like my laptop either, and I'm pretty sure there's not an N64 emulator out there (not one that can run very much, at least) that doesn't use plug-ins. Blame it on the pluh, pluh-pluh-pluh, pluh-pluh, plug-ins.

Oh well :B I still get by pretty much playing whatever strikes my fancy anyhow.

Erik

Verified Member
Well, what do the plugins do? Are they written by the same author as the core emulator application? I suppose plugins can sometimes be useful for large applications where you want to encourage customization and involvement of other developers. But for something that is so single purpose like an emulator I just can't see the need for having to separate the functionality into different plugins.

Jason Alan

Verified Member
Harder-to-program emulators, I suppose, require different plug-ins to function. Some do different thigns, sure, but some are mroe suited to x graphics cards or sound card, some improve/change things... It's less customizability, I think, compared to mixing-and-matching to get things running with the hardware you got. The emulator in this case is the shell of the program, designed to mix everything together, but the plug-ins pull in the important power.

To be honest I don't really know :B All I know is plug-ins seem to be necessary because you can't run anything without having some sort of graphics plug-in, a sound plug-in, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. Programming and even paying attention to these things is sort of beyond me. I'm just there to play games, I don't need none of this complicated riff raff. In any case, it's probably the difference between older games which require less to run, and that newer generation (N64, PS1, Dreamcast, and maybe Saturn/Sega CD? I've not tried those two) that necessitate splitting things up accordingly. It's also the difference between, say, a large 3D game and a 2D/2.5D sidescroller. Some plug-0ins would make the 3D game crash and the 2D one run, or vice versa. The N64 in particular has a range of crap it can do because you're trying to channel slightly more advanced hardware through a cartridge-based system and probably some nightmare of a coding mess to bring such games to life.

tl;dr I 'unno.

Erik

Verified Member
Unfortunately it is just for Mac but I recently installed OpenEmu and it is by far the best emulator I've ever used. It has actually a bunch of different emulators all built into one and lets you organize your games into a library. Here is a couple screenshots:

Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.37.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.37.09 PM.png

Wilbo

Verified Member
I'll definitely download this. Looking forward to replaying all the Pokemon titles :) Only thing, is there no option for N64?

Erik

Verified Member
Right now there is no N64 support but they are planning on adding it in the future since this is only the first release (v1.0)

If you look at the project's wishlist you'll see that in upcoming versions they plan to add support for a ton more consoles. N64, PlayStation, PC-FX, WonderSwan, Atari Lynx all have stable and working cores so they should be coming up soon. N64 and PlayStation I would expect the soonest though since they are the most popular out of that list.

Jason Alan

Verified Member
That is a fantastic concept for an emulator. The creators must have had their work cut out for them.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements