• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Mario games vs Sonic games.

Mario games or Sonic games?

• Mario games

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sonic games

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

SoulNinja

Verified Member
Which do you prefer Mario games or Sonic games.
I can't really choose because I like both series of games, but I have to choose Mario over Sonic.

FyreeTSG

Banned
Mario---I've been playing Mario games since I was like 5....

I do love Sonic games, but I've always been MUCH better at Mario games

JackitK

For me, well for older Mario VS Sonic games I'd lean more towards Mario but for the more recent installments, (like since Sonic Adventure), I'd lean towards Sonic. Of course this doesn't include some of the lesser modern Sonic games, I just really like Sonic Colors over Mario Galaxy.

FyreeTSG

Banned
In a battle of Retro Mario vs Retro Sonic, which will go down as the single-greatest rivalry in Video Game History---well, its a tough choice.

Granted I didn't get a Genesis or Game Gear until the late 90s, and to that point i'd been playing Mario games for nearly a decade--but I always did love Sonic, mainly from the Cartoon series, and Comic books...

But Mario games have always been a favorite of mine, despite the speedy-epic'ness of the Blue Blue--oh, and Sonic still can't compete with Tanooki Mario.

....even w/ Knuckles the Echidna.

SoulNinja

Verified Member
What I find a let dpwn about Sonic games is that they always make levels way to easy, as when I bought Sonic and the Black Knight I completed it in one day and the 2p minigames were teribble.

JackitK

My god, don't remind me of the bad minigames in Sonic and the Secret Rings! I'm normally pretty tolerant so it takes a lot for me not to like something... I have a hard time playing those minigames unless I'm playing them in one of the Mario Party-like modes to complement the games.

JackitK

Though it does seem lot of the bad modern Sonic games acted as "stepping stones" to produce the good Sonic days we seen today. It's like they were experimenting to figure out how to make a good Sonic game. Granted, that's no excuse for making so many bad games, but I got to show at least give them a little bit of props.

I actually liked Sonic and the Secret Rings when I played it. I don't get the "bad controls" people keep talking about, and the worst part was just how the bad progressing from level to level worked. If they fixed that, I think it would of been a decent game.

SoulNinja

Verified Member
I just want them to atlest try to make the levels longer and give us more of a challange.

FyreeTSG

Banned
well, I never really progressed that far in Sonic Generations---but I loved how they brought back Green Hill Zone--cause it's my favorite Sonic theme...

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
In my honest opinion, I for one can't find any similarities between the two gaming series to compare fairly and without bias. The only similar thing I see is that Sonic and Mario are mascots for their creator's company. SEGA being Sonic's, and Nintendo being Mario's. That's all.

Comparing these series are like comparing Apples to Oranges.

aboleth_lich

Verified Member
I prefer Mario out of habit, as I exclusively owned Nintendo consoles from elementary through high school, when I then switched to Sony's PlayStation. As such, I have far more experience playing Mario games than I have with Sega's Sonic The Hedgehog games.

However, although there certainly are similarities between the two franchises (i.e. they're both linear platformers, the main character collects golden circular objects, etc): I've found that they both have their own distinct charms, providing a significantly different playing experience. Sonic games are much more dizzyingly fast, like a roller-coaster or racing cars. The Mario games are more... explorative and quest-like, like a knight marching into the woods to rescue a princess from a dragon (which is precisely Mario's quest).