• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

My View on SEGA

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
Thread starter #1
NOTE: I NOTION THAT WE CREATE AN ARTICLE/EDITORIAL SUB-FORUM IN THE NEWS & HEADLINES FORUM FOR POSTS SUCH AS THESE, FOR THEY ARE NOT THE LATEST IN GAMING INDUSTRY NEWS; BUT ARE DETAILED INSIGHTS AND OBJECTIVE FINDINGS WITHIN THE GAMING INDUSTRY ITSELF. THANK YOU.

(I apologize in advance if this hurts anyone's eyes, please notify me if it does so I can change it. I just wanted my notice to go noticed. Have a nice day.)

So we all know that in the past during the first console war of a generation long since gone, SEGA and Nintendo were at each others throats; neck and neck against one another to bring about fame and fortune with every game release and system they concocted.

Unfortunately, time favored Nintendo and SEGA's vast console empire and flagship series, Sonic the Hedgehog, collapsed to Nintendo's yoke of iron; dominating the gaming industry at the time.

But has SEGA really been defeated as we think they have?

Evidence proves not as likely, and they are still creating and making the same games as in the past. While Sonic Team of SEGA focuses on beating the ever loving dead horse that is the Sonic Games every other year, and stealing the spotlight, there have been a lot of good games behind the scenes that no one has paid any attention to.

Now I am not touting the merits or worth of beating said dead horse over and over again as the revenue coming from the Sonic games are what keeps the company floating; that is to say Sonic is their bread and butter, and everyone needs bread and butter! Even Nintendo beats their own properties repeatedly, whipping them and then casting black magic rituals to make them presentable and sell well; it's what I believe is their secret to success. That and their crusader-like fans.

However while the bread and butter are the main staple of any meal, there is of course, the main course, and such. It is here that we see some succulent and robust dishes, prepared with care, flavored to excellence, and so on. Such is the juicy meat of games that have not been discovered or cared much for by the mainstream audience, who continually scarf down nothing BUT the bread and butter, filling their stomach with the same stuff as before and then hungering for more; a sickening routine.

But for those who can look past the bread and butter of SEGA and move onto the main course, you'll find a variety of exotic and exciting dishes!

"Like what?" You ask?

Well...

How about one of the best Japanese Role-Playing Games (J-RPG) I've ever encountered?

Resonance of Fate (PS3/360) - Developed by tri-Ace and Published by SEGA, it boasts a refreshing concept of a combat system that combines a real time action system with the turn-based combat command system; a blend that mixes into a very strategic and exciting style of game-play not found anywhere else.

Not only does it have substance to keep the game-play challenging and fun, but it also has its own flair of that good ol' Japanese RPG spectacle!

Now if you're looking for a bit more customization, action, and Sci-Fi, then check out another one of SEGA's more creative series...

The Phantasy Star Series (It spans a LOT of consoles, even the DS and PSP.) - An action J-RPG that has had its name renowned throughout many gaming circles as one of the best gaming series of all time. It is well known for being a series that truly lets loose with all manner of character customization, from looks to weapons, armor, and the likes, it is a gaming series like no other. You take the role of a Hunter in our world that has become polluted and toxic over the years, with only few stretches of lands and spaces becoming havens for humanity. The toxicity of the world has transformed animals into horrifying beasts, and as a Hunter it is your duty to take down these beasts by way of contracts.

You'll be fighting a lot of different enemies, customizing a lot of different weapons and armor, and just having a grand ol' shoot em' and slice 'em up time with this series! In terms of popularity, it rivals the Sonic Games, 'nuff said.

----------------------------

So is SEGA truly dead or defeated? Not by a long shot, and I think it's high time we realize that. SEGA's Development Team has made a lot of gems and games behind the scenes of the Sonic Series of games (A Series that hogs the spotlight), and it is time we recognize their merits.

If anyone else can contribute a game or series made by SEGA that is vastly underrated that was NOT a Sonic game, then post it here.

Pocketim

Verified Member
Good gravy, where to start?

Oh, and Azriel is right. You owe it to yourself to play Resonance of Fate and Phantasy Star Portable if you have even the slightest interest in JRPGs.

Chu Chu Rocket (Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, iOS) - A game that plays a much more important part in video game history than many realize, Chu Chu Rocket was the first Dreamcast game to have online features. The game takes place on a top-down grid. The Chu Chus (mice) run around the board, and you must guide them to the rocket by placing arrows on the grid, telling the Chu Chus which direction to go. Meanwhile, you have to make sure that no Chu Chus fall down any holes, or that the Kapu Kapus (cats) eat them. The main feature of the game is it's multiplayer, where there are 4 rockets, one for each player, and everyone is placing arrows everywhere, trying to get the mice to go to their rocket. You can also lead the cats into your opponents rocket, causing them to lose a ton of mice. It is one of the most frantic and fast-paced puzzle games I have ever played, and I absolutely love it for it. It gets the balance between action and thinking perfectly. There's also the single-player puzzle mode, in which you have to guide the mice to the rocket with a limited amount of arrows, and can't let a single mouse die. It gets pretty challenging, but is also a lot of fun, and a bit more relaxed than the multiplayer, if that's too hectic for you. The online play not only allowed online multiplayer, but you could also download puzzle levels made by players using the in-game level editor. The GBA version of Chu Chu Rocket has over 1,000 fan-made levels in it too, in an attempt to preserve some of the online memories from the Dreamcast release, which I always thought was pretty cool. Not only a huge step forward for online gaming, but also a creative puzzle game in it's own right.

Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/PSP/PS3/360/PC) - Well, SEGA obviously liked this game too, what with how many times it's been ported! Basically, you're a taxi driver, and have to get as many customers to their destination under the time limit. Sounds simple enough, but where Crazy Taxi shines is in style and presentation. Nothing's stopping you from getting your customer to his/her destination ASAP, as you speed through the city and cause a ton of havoc. Top this off with one of the cheesiest announcers ever, and music from Offspring and Bad Religion making up the soundtrack, and you have an absolutely mental (and inventive, for that matter!) game.

Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) - With the huge amount of protective parents out there who are convinced video games are influencing children, I doubt we'll ever see this series return. But regardless, we still have the fantastic Jet Set Radio Future. This one is pretty hard to find now, but good gravy, it is worth it. You play as a street punk, and rollerblade your way through cities, doing various stunts and spraying graffiti everywhere. The cities are a ton of fun to explore, and there's a pretty good sense of speed in the game too. You can actually see some similarities to Sonic Adventure 2 here, with the speed and rail grinding. Heck, sometimes it's just fun to mess around and do various stunts and tricks. Once again, the game has some fantastic presentation, with it's cel-shaded graphics which compliment the graffiti theme nicely, and some rather catchy j-pop music making up the soundtrack. To sum up, a stylish and creative game that's a ton of fun.

Super Monkey Ball 2 (Gamecube) - Here's some proof that SEGA didn't lose it as soon as they went third-party. Reinventing the Marble Madness formula, Super Monkey Ball is still one of my favorite current SEGA series. While there's a lot of games in this series to choose from, I went with Super Monkey Ball 2, because it easily had the best level design out of any game in the series. You must roll a monkey trapped in a hamster ball through over 150 short stages. The average level is only about 30 seconds long, but the game makes up for this with it's insane difficulty level. I have played NES games like Mega Man, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Gradius, and I can honestly still say that Super Monkey Ball 2 may be the hardest game I've ever played. While not for the easily frustrated, if you have the patience for this game, you will find a ton of satisfaction comes from finishing an especially difficult stage. Since the levels are short too, they feel a bit less intimidating too. You're not going to be going through any 30-minute long levels with one life. Alongside that, there's also 8 minigames, each of which have a surprising amount of depth. My favorite is Monkey Target, where your hamster ball turns into a hang glider, and you soar through the air, collecting bananas, and then have to try and land in the center of a giant darts target. Overall, a really fun game with a ton of content. A must have if you can handle the difficulty.

That's far from all of my favorite SEGA games (I'm a bit of a fanboy =P), but I don't want to get carried away. I also tried to stick to games from the Dreamcast and onward, as I would be here all day if I listed all my favorite Saturn, Megadrive, and Master System games. Besides, the thread is more about what SEGA is now, rather than what it was 20 years ago.

I know Sega isn't "dead"--and I'm glad they continue to stay an important piece in the Industry....

but we all know they haven't been the same since the mid-90's, when Sony launched the PSX, and pretty much ended the "Video Game Wars"--which changed the face of the Industry--and challenged the rest of the companies to try to UP their game...

I hope Sega can continue to stay competitive--and if they can bring back what made them what they were in the 90's, todays gamers--especially with the number of gamers who were Sega fans back then--then they'd have a GREAT shot at being one of the best 3rd Party companies for the forseeable future, and continue into the Next Gen

--but I'm in NO way meaning to be Negative, I've always been a BIG Sega fan

Samus2008

Verified Member
Some of my favorite SEGA games:

Crazy Taxi
Super Monkey Ball 2
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Dynamite Headdy
Columns
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Space Channel 5

I want to see Sega get back to the same HUGE status it had in the 90's....

just so we can see Mario vs Sonic again in the Market

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements