• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Next XBOX: Code Name "Durango"?

FyreeTSG

Banned
A LITTLE BIT OF INFO...

It's not much, but thanks to screwattack.com, we now know that Microsoft HAS confirmed their next console, supposedly code named "DURANGO".

Call it XBOX 4, XBOX 720, or XBOX 8(after the upcoming NEW Windows 8 OS), but whatever you call it, take heart in there being a few revealed featured for the soon-to-be 3rd XBOX console.

Windows Live GM, Brian Hall was quoted in an interview:

"We just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those- put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office, with the new Windows Phone and the new Xbox."

The detailed features revealed are: integrated Kinect sensor, Blueray, and a good likelihood the new system won't be able to play USED games--which brings back an old conversation, and could possibly TKO the system before it's even released.

Release date? Price??
Not yet.

---FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG

Banned
no more weird than "Dolphin"(the Gamecube)...

It'll be 720, or some other name...

I just hope Microsoft DOESN'T make it so it can't play used games--cause that rumor's still floating out there, and it may become the "Standard" of all new consoles eventually

zluigi56

Verified Member
FyreeTSG said:
no more weird than "Dolphin"(the Gamecube)...

It'll be 720, or some other name...

I just hope Microsoft DOESN'T make it so it can't play used games--cause that rumor's still floating out there, and it may become the "Standard" of all new consoles eventually

I it won't happen either. Half of my library is used games. Also I wish it will be backwards compatible with 360 and possibly xbox.

FyreeTSG

Banned
I'd think it'd be compatible w/ older games--but the whole "used" games possibly not being playable stems from the fact that BIG Gaming companies, like Microsoft, Sony, and 3rd Parties, are "upset" that people are buying THEIR games used--and THEY'RE losing on more money from re-sales...

zluigi56

Verified Member
FyreeTSG said:
I'd think it'd be compatible w/ older games--but the whole "used" games possibly not being playable stems from the fact that BIG Gaming companies, like Microsoft, Sony, and 3rd Parties, are "upset" that people are buying THEIR games used--and THEY'RE losing on more money from re-sales...

True. Still how would the 720 tell the difference between a used game?

FyreeTSG

Banned
there would probably be someway it could...

maybe NEW games will have to be registered, or something--and most used games wouldn't be able to register--like a registration ID code, or something...

FyreeTSG

Banned
don't make assumptions---especially when we know very little...

I did see that there's a chance the next XBOX could play PC games.

zluigi56

Verified Member
If I can not play used games I will not buy the 720. Just like Guts said, Microsoft may go out of business and they are digging there grave. I will be disipointed.

FyreeTSG

Banned
it'll still sell--
and the "not playing used games" is still ALL rumor...
I'm not gonna condemn a company for doing what they do...
and I see why A LOT of game companies are considering doing THAT---but it does suck, and game companies need to realize that USED games have been a BIG part of the gaming market for decades

FyreeTSG

Banned
I'd hope not, cause despite what you MAY think, I do like Microsoft as a company(more than I like Sony)--(BIG fan since Windows 95)--and I don't want them to "go under" as much as you do james--I want them to stay competitive--cause it keeps the industry active, and gives US better games to play.

but if Microsoft chooses to go THIS route(which we don't know yet), it'd be a BIG blow towards future console sales...

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
But you're forgetting something lads...

Much like how the never ending team of Hackers on the net are cracking the 3DS, this "Won't Play Used Games" shenanigans will be cracked and brought to a halt once the machines are in the hands of the ever tireless Hackers! Also unlike the horrendous programming job of the 3DS, this is Microsoft we're talking about. Which means many a Hacker are going to have a field day with this one since this new Xbox will be Windows 8 compatible! Making it EASY to hack this box, and lift this curse.

This new Xbox's life force will be saved by Hacking, instead of it dying out.

queenzelda

Verified Member
Heh if anything; MS is playing catch up as Nintendo is by releasing a console that is blu-ray compatible. In the end I knew a new console for the Xbox franchise was inevitable anyway.

FyreeTSG

Banned
has Wii U been confirmed for Blueray?

--and wouldn't the NEXT inevitable evolution of DVD technology be a bigger thing to do?

Lady Venom

Verified Member
Yes the WiiU has been confirmed to be using blu-ray technology as you yourself have already posted the specs about it anyway.

Still I agree with Queen; if anything M$ is playing catch up just as Nintendo is. The Xbox using the way of getting HD that lost out over Sony. So of course M$ is going to have to upgrade from HD dvd technology to blue-ray.

Pocketim

Verified Member
Azriel Delacroix said:
But you're forgetting something lads...

Much like how the never ending team of Hackers on the net are cracking the 3DS, this "Won't Play Used Games" shenanigans will be cracked and brought to a halt once the machines are in the hands of the ever tireless Hackers! Also unlike the horrendous programming job of the 3DS, this is Microsoft we're talking about. Which means many a Hacker are going to have a field day with this one since this new Xbox will be Windows 8 compatible! Making it EASY to hack this box, and lift this curse.

This new Xbox's life force will be saved by Hacking, instead of it dying out.

Though there would still be the issue of actually finding second hand games. Game stores sure aren't going to sell them if you can't play them without hacking, and not every gamer is going to know about this either. It would be a step in the right direction, but it wouldn't be perfect.

FyreeTSG

Banned
we're not supposed to talk about HACKING here anyways, it's against site rules...

and, yeah, Pocketim's right: not everyone is gonna HACK their system just to play a game.

I still don't think Microsoft will actually go through with such a STUPID decision--cause it's a step in the WRONG direction, and companies, not just Microsoft--need to realize that USED games make up almost a majority of gamers' gaming.