• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

One-Shot Deals (Newest: The Mirror Lied)

Jason Alan

Verified Member
Thread starter #1
So while I have been slow on the LPing front, now and then I want to do a much smaller project, say one that only lasts for about a single video. Previously the only thing I've done that was a single video long was Battletoads. Rocket Knight Adventures could've probably stood to be a one-video journey as well, but there's no changing that now.

In any case, now and then I will surely do some of these little one-offs, and I have a few ideas of what to do to add to my channel. For now though, I've only got Battletoads and a dumb Ao Oni thing I did the other day.

Also, I can edit titles in subsequent posts (or the original), right? Might be useful when bumping to display in the title what the most recent one is. For anyone who actually wants to see more from me, I'm not sure what is coming up next. Probably more RPG Maker horror stuff because I can do those easily enough on my own, but I do have a few larger projects lined up for the future, some of which have a good chunk of footage recorded. Just gotta get inspired to actually record post-commentary with a mix of some people, like Azriel and Pocket. Anyhow, on to the meat of the subject.

Disclaimer: All videos generally flagged for potential language.

Now that that's over, onto the post proper.

Battletoads (Battletoads/Battletoads) - Battletoads

Battletoads. That's all that needs to be said. Of course, a little more. The small rectangle in the bottom left is blocking out part of facecam that I had going during this. I decided that I would try it out during this in preparation for something I am no longer planning to do, and because I am primitive in my knowledge of screencasting and video recording software, I wound up recording not only global video, but the facecam was slightly overlapped with the game from the get-go. Luckily I made a work-around so no one has to see my ugly mug, because I seriously look like shit in this and no one wants to see that. No one wants to see a black bar over a small piece of the video either, but the alternative is to scrap this entirely, and for reasons you may see in the video, I don't want to do that.

That said, Battletoads.

I Did A Dumb Ao Oni Thing

Boy is it silly and dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Alan

Verified Member
Thread starter #2
RE: One-Shot Deals (Newest: Cave Story+ - S-Rank Hell)

Cave Story+ - S-Rank Hell

Legit took me 3 days, a good deal of hours, and some outside sources of reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Alan

Verified Member
Thread starter #3

Hey I've had this for a few weeks now. I should put it up. Yaaaaaaayyyyyy. Yay.

The Mirror Lied

"Part 2" begins at 43:39, and my original run ends there if you are only interested in one playthrough.

"Part 2" is just a second attempt, another playthrough to garner some answers and change things because I was bewildered beyond belief, and I did manage to see a few interesting things.

WARNING: To get the full experience from this game, you should play it for yourself before watching someone else play it (I've said the same for OFF). You can find it at http://freebirdgames.com/games/the-mirror-lied/ for free.

Everything I have to say about this game, I say in this video. This messed me up so bad the night I did it. Am I just a wuss? Partially! But there's more to it than that, I believe, and if you play it you may see for yourself.

Erik

Verified Member

Cave Story+ - S-Rank Hell

Legit took me 3 days, a good deal of hours, and some outside sources of reference.

This game looks really hard and fast paced. Can all those things on the screen actually kill you? It seems like you wouldn't be able to last a minute without hitting into something.

Jason Alan

Verified Member
Thread starter #5
Cave Story is less difficult than this particular segment would make it appear. This is taken from an updated rerelease version compared to the vanilla game (known as Cave Story+). This is the "true" final area of the game unlocked by doing a few things during the game that aren't immediately apparent but can be found with some use of the ol' gamer instincts of exploration and a smidge of sequence breaking. There is a speedrun "mode" of running through this true final area accessed from the main menu, and the best tier time-based achievement you can get from this is under 3 minutes. Certain spikes in the game (giant bloodied spikes that take 2x2 game tiles) can kill you in one hit, but besides those and getting crushed, nothing else can one-shot you. The most damage anything can do to you is 15 HP I am pretty sure. However much damage per hit I take from being inside the hitbox of those orbs during the last seconds of the battle. For the record, the maximum amount of health you can have is 50/55 HP depending on finding a certain secret heart container.

To be honest, it took, as I said, several hours to get so good and combine it with enough luck to dodge enough attacks to accomplish this feat. The rest of the game displays a very nice difficulty curve, and while there's the ol' "everything trying to kill you," overworld enemies generally don't do enough damage to become a burden in your average playthrough. Anything potentially could, but it's not generally regarded as a difficult game. In fact, if you take the final area easy (AKA you're not going for achievements) it is much easier than it looks. Being so frenetic about it you're obviously more at risk, and with that slowness and precision you have much better control about not getting hit by the speedier enemies, or killing them before they get to you.

tl;dr It can be fast-paced at times but it's not as hard as this video lets on. Everything can potentially kill you but likely not a lot will unless you get unlucky. You might get hit plenty of times, but enemies and certain things in the game have decent chances at dropping HPhealth refills and generally don't do enough damage to the point where you can't recover.

In spite of my words I am not affiliated with cave Story+ in any way lol. I just really like the game and I tend to yammer on and on about things I really like, which doesn't happen often.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements