• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Should Link be Replaced?

FyreeTSG

Banned
Saw this on FB, and thought it was worthy of a Nintendo Realm "Thought Process":

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/should-link-get-a-makeover-rebooted-or-should-zelda-have-a-new-hero

SHOULD the "The Legend of Zelda" series get a new hero? A Reboot? Or just another Makeover??

Let it Begin!!

I'd say let Zelda, y'know the "technically" TITLE character--FINALLY have a chance in the spotlight. She's the only MAJOR Female character to not have her own solo-role....Samus is the star of the METROID series, Peach has had her own game, but NOTHING for Zelda??

Bear28

Seriously?!!... Replace Link?!!... I could see Zelda getting a spot in the game as a playable character, but to get rid of Link goes against everything high and holy!

All indignation aside, Link is simply a stereotypical hero that, while many traits are carried over for the sake of continuity, can be recast in innumerable different ways if Nintendo decides to revamp his character. There really is no advantage to replacing Link, since Link is imbued with very little personality in most of the games.

Besides, I think a little green clad, elfin hero is cool. :)

queenzelda

Verified Member
Actually there IS a CDi game where Zelda is the main character. Not only that but in WW Tetra
Zelda
takes on a bigger role in the game then is usual for any female character in the series.

As for a new hero? Why not have Link have a sister who can become the hero? Maybe even have a gender select section; instead of always relying on one hero there could be two.

But, I'm a Link girl & would choose Link as my hero every single time. ;3 Respect.

Pocketim

Verified Member
queenzelda said:
Actually there IS a CDi game where Zelda is the main character. Not only that but in WW Tetra
Zelda
takes on a bigger role in the game then is usual for any female character in the series.

The thing with Zelda is that she's often actually a pretty fun and interesting character, especially with Tetra, until it's later revealed that she's a princess and then becomes the generic damsel in distress. I do wonder what she'd be like if she was the protagonist, especially if she still talked.

Anyway, I honestly see no reason why Link couldn't be replaced. Heck, it would make more sense than each game taking hundreds of years apart from each other, yet each time period conveniently having a guy that looks JUST like the Hero of Time, who is ACTUALLY the chosen one. Geez, how convenient!

FyreeTSG

Banned
I'd like to see a sister for Link--but I think ZELDA herself needs a spinoff...
or maybe some game w/ Ganondorf's backstory, where you actually play as him, and learn more about his past, which I KNOW James would be onboard for.

OR--do a Super ZELDA Kart racing game--

jvgsjeff

Verified Member
Ooohh, Zelda Kart. I kind of laughed at that at first, but it's not a bad idea. The Zelda universe has lots of potential characters and locations to choose from. Imagine a creepy Majora's Mask course and maybe a silent realm level. And a Gerudo Valley course where you have to jump across where the bridge is out. And it could use Zelda-style power-ups: Bombs to drop behind you, arrows to shoot opponents ahead of you, maybe a shield as a defensive weapon. How about a hookshot to catch up to a racer ahead of you?

JackitK

Well majority of Zelda games have a different Link in each of the games, they just tend to look similar. I'd be for a "new Link" in a future Zelda game that didn't resemble the traditional Link, maybe either as a female version or one with a radical enough backstory to justify being different from the rest.

Azriel Delacroix

Verified Member
QueenZelda said:
instead of always relying on one hero there could be two.

260px-Phantomhour.jpg
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Spirit_Tracks_box_art.jpg

"Sup Queen?"

queenzelda said:
Why not have Link have a sister

FyreeTSG said:
I'd like to see a sister for Link--

Ayrll is displeased at people forgetting her existence. It is not wise to make her angry....

aryll_is_totally_bizarre_by_lord_phillock-d339eoa.jpg

averus

Verified Member
It could be an interesting idea, but I wouldn't replace Link, I'd just add another character and make the story such that you'd be playing with the other character for most of the game.

For an example, Link and <other character> get their souls and bodies replaced, and in that process Link's soul gets lost. <other character> has to save Link by finding his soul and returning it into his body.

Would be nice to see someone save Link for once :)

queenzelda

Verified Member
@ Azriel: Please, Swaine is more along the lines of a cabbie running Link around on his boat then a second hero of any kind. And Zelda's 'spirit' going into armor is more along the lines of Full Metal Alchemist really. -_- Also, I remember Aryll, but should have said Link could use an older sister too. :p
But maybe a choice between playing as either Link or Zelda would be interesting impo. :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik

Verified Member
Why not Zelda herself? She has been a playable character in the Smash Bros. games since brawl so why not somehow work that into an actual Zelda game?

queenzelda

Verified Member
Actually; Nintendo has done that. It was one of the CDi games; which will never be spoken of again. :p