• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Switch broke.. how should I replace it? (is it safe to replace just the tablet part of the switch)

MatthewForest

Long story short switch broke, looked online, £300 for a new one.. but its only the console part that is broken, the part that you put into the dock, the "tablet" part I guess is the name.

So I was wondering would it be safe for me to spend £170 on a new tablet/screen piece, saving some money instead of spending £300 for a second useless dock and joycons and an AC adapter?

Artwark

If the tablet is broken like if it has display issues or broken glass, send it to Nintendo. Their repair services are cheaper than having to buy another Switch.

I don't think you can just buy another tablet new though as the console always comes with the dock, joy cons and adaptor.

MatthewForest

If the tablet is broken like if it has display issues or broken glass, send it to Nintendo. Their repair services are cheaper than having to buy another Switch.

I don't think you can just buy another tablet new though as the console always comes with the dock, joy cons and adaptor.
Thanks for the response,
its not the glass or the screen thats broken, something wrong with motherboard, water damage I think caused it so it wouldn't be fixed for free. I found some brand new "tablets" on ebay for about £180, I guess the question I'm asking is can you use the joycons from one system on another?

Artwark

Thanks for the response,
its not the glass or the screen thats broken, something wrong with motherboard, water damage I think caused it so it wouldn't be fixed for free. I found some brand new "tablets" on ebay for about £180, I guess the question I'm asking is can you use the joycons from one system on another?

Yes you can as long as they work.

I would suggest to get a refurbished one instead as it's cheaper and it's guarantee to eork. Since it's from Nintendo themselves.

Nintendo X

The Legend
Staff member
Yes you can as long as they work.

I would suggest to get a refurbished one instead as it's cheaper and it's guarantee to eork. Since it's from Nintendo themselves.
I have one warning for you:

On the flip coin, there's Nintendo selling refurbished - make sure you buy it directly from Nintendo...

In general, you don't want a refurbished console from mom and pops stores like GameStop as warned above.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Is the switch with the digital Mario Kart a V2 console? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
A Ports to forward on nintendo switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
N Best Switch game for a 3 year old Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
J FREE Switch Controller Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
A New Skins Collection for your Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
Swordmasterman Him & Her (Switch) Nintendo Switch Games 0
Jiggajt_ny Son switch stopped working Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
darkfuture008 Connect Nintendo Switch to laptop Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
Empire Hello Switch! Introductions 1
F for nintendo switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 2
H Switch stops charging after turning electricity off/on Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
D Nintendo Switch price? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
M Nintendo switch docked without a battery Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
R Nintendo Switch Buy online game Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
O Help with figuring out Nintendo switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
S Nintendo Switch - suitable games Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
Swordmasterman Dogurai is now on Switch Nintendo Switch Games 1
L Nintendo switch lose my games? (Help) Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
Nintendo X New Nintendo Direct Mini (3/26/2020) reveals new Nintendo Switch updates Nintendo Switch News 2
D Buying Switch with pre-installed games - can I keep the games? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
Shweaty Nintendo Switch Prototype Game Cartridge Case Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
A Baron: Fur is Gonna Fly [New Switch Game] Nintendo Switch Games 0
D Switch's Pathetic Memory Problem? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 2
T Information about an issue with an Amiibo working with Switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
C Switch won’t work on Sharp TV Help Corner 2
P Mario Party and Nintendo Switch Online Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0
L Which headset to buy for when playing the switch on the tv Nintendo Switch General Discussion 3
Rachet_Acram Charterstone: Digital Edition soon to come to Switch Nintendo Switch Games 2
U Bring back tony hawks underground to switch. Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
Nintendo X New Nintendo Direct (9/4/2019) reveals new Nintendo Switch games Nintendo Switch News 0
Rachet_Acram Eight-Minute Empire - first look on Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Games 0
P Looking for a Nintendo Switch Clan? Presenting: TeamRDYK! Friend Exchange 0
C Fortnite from iOS to Switch Help Corner 1
Nintendo X Nintendo Switch Lite Announced Nintendo Switch News 0
Nintendo X New Nintendo Direct (6/11/2019) reveals new Nintendo Switch games Nintendo Switch News 1
B My YouTube Video on Nintendo Switch Charging Accesories Member Content 0
Nintendo X New Nintendo Direct (2/13/2019) will reveal new Nintendo Switch games Nintendo Switch News 0
jonaspolos Residen Evil 2 Remake on switch possibilities Nintendo Switch Games 4
A Is it normal to have hairline scratches on switch screen? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 4
Nintendo X Overview of the NES Controller for Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch News 1
Rachet_Acram Istanbul board game about to hit the Switch! Nintendo Switch Games 3
S Nintendo Switch starts running out of stock at some of Japan's top stores Nintendo Switch News 2
W Nintendo Switch IPs? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 1
JakeEMT-P Buy a Switch now, or wait? Nintendo Switch General Discussion 12
P Splatoon 2 Hacked; Nintendo's Anti-Cheat System Bypassed Just One Day Before Switch Online Becomes Paid Nintendo Switch News 0
Nintendo X New Nintendo Direct (9/13/2018) reveals new games, and Nintendo Switch Online details Nintendo Switch News 0
Nintendo X New Nintendo Switch Nindies Showcase for Summer 2018 Nintendo Switch News 0
Y Look for people with friend code with Nintendo switch Friend Exchange 1
F Nintendo Switch users are reporting cracks in their console Nintendo Switch News 0
R Unique 3D Puzzle Game Neverout on Switch Nintendo Switch General Discussion 0