• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Thoughts on the DS

Roseary

Hand held consoles are becoming more popular, but with everyone wanting to bring their favorite games everywhere they go with them, other companies have noticed.

Now app games have become popular as well, so much so that some companies have made great titles like Final Fantasy available for an app on your phone.

With phones becoming more versatile and capable of handling newer and more powerful gaming apps, will hand held consoles lose sales? Will anyone even continue to buy them ten years from now?

I probably will; because I don't have a phone, but I wonder what everyone else will do.

averus

Verified Member
Handheld consoles will always have a market.
Phones will take a big part of the gaming market, but I don't believe any product will become obsolete.

Phones will be just another option. They can't be real gaming devices. Handhelds won't go down that easily :)

Roseary

That's a great point! I mean people still use their old console systems, I even have an original atari. I wonder if gaming on phones get too big though if companies like Nintendo will still produce newer versions of their handhelds? It's interesting to speculate on.

Actually - I guess it would be pretty likely to see gaming companies make improved versions of their handhelds that allow calling/texting like a cell phone, making them a bigger competitor.

AlexKid

Verified Member
@Roseary Mobile phones are a poor substitute for handheld gaming in my opinion. The touchscreen is a terrible interface for action games, nothing beats having a well-designed d-pad with responsive buttons. This is an area where Nintendo excels, they've always manufactured they very best handhelds in the market. While smart phones will continue to become predominant, there will always be space for Nintendo's handhelds. Folks that want a quality gaming experience on the go, will eschew the phone for a handheld on any given opportunity.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements