• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Toejam and Earl Dreamcast Beta Found!

Pocketim

Verified Member
Thread starter #1
For those unfamiliar with Toejam and Earl, it's a series of very strange co-op adventure games with an Earthworm Jim-esque style of humor. They're about two "jamming" hip-hop loving aliens and their adventures on the most twisted, unusual and surreal planet of all: Planet Earth.

What's unique about Toejam and Earl however is that while the game is in third person, you essentially see the world through the eyes of the aliens, as everything looks very weird and, well, out of this world, despite taking place on Earth. The graphics are designed in a way to look like what an alien would see if he crash-landed on Planet Earth and was surrounded by our bizarre customs and strange world.

There were two Toejam and Earl games on the Megadrive, and much later they released a third game on the Xbox, called Toejam and Earl 3: Mission to Earth. HOWEVER, recently a beta for a Dreamcast version has been discovered, and it's in a completely playable state.

Interestingly, it appears to be quite different to the Xbox version of Toejam and Earl 3. The Dreamcast beta looks more like a 3D adaptation of the first Toejam and Earl game on the Megadrive. The Xbox version of the game deviated further from the original premise and had more in common with Rareware-esque collect-a-thon platformers. Seems that the embarrassingly cheesy one liners stuck around for both versions of the game though. "FUNKIFY!"

(Below is footage of the Dreamcast beta)

It's worth noting that other betas of unreleased Dreamcast games such as Half-Life and Propeller Arena can be played on a real Dreamcast, though I can't detail how here since it's against the forum rules. However, this means that potentially in the future it will be possible to play Toejam & Earl on your Dreamcast, no emulator required!

Last edited by a moderator:

Erik

Verified Member
The art style and game play from that video reminds me a lot of Katamari which I think was a PS2 game I remember playing a lot

That game looks interesting. I for one, actually thought the Dreamcast was better then the PS2, at least in the early days of the Sony. A few short months after we purchased the Dreamcast, it started to go under. That was a repeat of my luck with the Atari Jaguar.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements