• Welcome to SwitchForum.com - The #1 place to talk about Nintendo Switch. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Tomadachi Life

SirRidge

Verified Member
So, did anybody pick up Tomadachi Life? And if so, what do you think of it?

I've been seeing of stuff on it lately, and I literally lost months of my life to Animal Crossing and I hear this has a similiar sort of appeal, but it just doesn't look interesting to me..

What say you?

Pikahalf

Verified Member
I thought about getting it too cause it looks like fun, but I'm unsure. I might look online for a review of it if no one here has played it yet.

Wilbo

Verified Member
Yeah same, I'll check out reviews on it first.. but doesn't really appeal to me either at the moment.

Erik

Verified Member
Haha, it took me a moment to realize you weren't talking about these:

It is spelt differently, I guess that just goes to show my ignorance of Japanese.

SirRidge

Verified Member

It is spelt differently, I guess that just goes to show my ignorance of Japanese.
*raises hand*
Hearing people talk about it for months leading up to it I did the same thing..

Pikahalf

Verified Member
Looks to me from how some reviews read that the only control you have over the characters is in their creation & stuff that you decide to give them. Pretty much the game plays itself otherwise is how it came off to me. I could be wrong.

But personally I want to PLAY a game I buy not have it be played FOR ME. <~<;

Pikahalf

Verified Member
The characters are all mii-based.. I think the graphics don't even matter after that. :p XD

jvgsjeff

Verified Member
I have it, and I'm enjoying my time with it. You don't directly control your Miis, so you're basically just observing them. But you can give them food when they're hungry, new clothes to wear, items to play with, and so on. And the game puts the Miis in all sorts of crazy, random scenarios. The more Miis you have, the better.

On my island, Zoidberg (from Futurama) and Miss Piggy got married and had a baby. And that baby is just as ugly as you'd expect. I've been keeping a Tomodachi Life Blog of some of my highlights if you want to check it out. But the game is quite funny; from the insane news stories to creepy dreams to the rap battles, I've laughed quite a bit. One down side is that if you play mostly at night, most of the Miis will be sleeping and there's not a lot to do. This type of game isn't for everyone, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Erik

Verified Member
What an odd looking couple, haha @jvgsjeff

So it sounds like the game basically makes a community out of all the Miis you have created? That sounds nice since pretty much everyone who has ever played my Wii has their own Mii created. Maybe you could try changing the time settings so that they will be awake when you are playing?

Pocketim

Verified Member
I've been watching a few streams on this game and it's fantastically bizarre. I don't think I'd enjoy actually playing it myself, but seeing all the mental rap battles, the surreal dreams and ridiculous relationships is great fun.

I'm not a fan of the Miis at all (always felt the Mii Maker was too limited and they look too much like they came out of a very early N64 game), but putting them into a game that's centered entirely around customization makes sense since they're all about customizing an avatar for yourself and others. That, and Tomodachi finally lets you change their clothes, rather than just having a choice of gray pants or red pants!

Pikahalf

Verified Member
idk it kind of comes off as Nintendo's own version of what Nintendo HOME would be like; where you have 0 say over what the character does & your just there to tend to them like they're your fish or something. Ugh, I don't want to pay for a Nintendo HOME (like Playstation HOME) game when it should be free.. Besides I don't like games to watch; I enjoy playing them. Watching a game play itself gets boring after some time... Er.. For me it does. ~w~

Pocketim

Verified Member
I got an email from Nintendo today saying I had been selected to receive a download code for a demo of Tomodachi called "Tomodachi Life: Welcome Edition". Though, considering that a friend of mine got the exact same email, I'm suspecting that nearly everyone was sent this code and I wasn't "selected" at all.

I noticed a few not-so-subtle differences between the UK version I played and the US version I've watched streams of. First off, every Mii in the UK version has a fairly poor British accent. Everyone sounds overly smug and posh, which might come in handy if you want to make a Mii of Pip from South Park, but otherwise it's pretty annoying and doesn't sound authentic at all (mind you, authenticity may not bother you when everyone sounds like a robot anyway). The items were quite clearly localized too. Out of the five items available at the supermarket, one of them was fish & chips and the another one was a cup of tea. Also, one of the three clothing items I was given in the demo was a rugby shirt. Personally I found it kind of annoying and distracting, reminding me of the old 4Kids Pokémon dub where riceballs would be replaced by more American-friendly stuff such as hamburgers and donuts, but your mileage may vary with that point, and if you're playing the US version it won't even be in the game.

The demo was disappointingly short, makes me wonder why they couldn't have just put it with the other demos on the eShop rather than sending it out via emails. After all the introductory stuff you only get to solve 5 of your Mii's problems, all very basic things such as "I'm hungry" or "I'd like some new clothes". You're given all the items you need to solve these problems from the getgo, so you'll blitz through it with ease. Once you solve 5 problems you're rewarded with two panda outfits for your Miis and that's it.

It was pretty neat to get to try the game, but the demo didn't really do much to showcase the sense of humor or level of customization that you get later on in the game, and was pretty underwhelming as a result of that. I'm still interested in the game since I've seen what the full game has to offer through streams, but as the demo's job was to try and sell me on the game, I can't help but feel it completely missed the mark.

Pikahalf

Verified Member
Yea, your right if Nintendo wants to sell their new IP they should have a better demo to showcase the game. I tried the demo & it just didn't interest me at all if anything it was kinda boring.. (impo)

TyranBrulee

Verified Member

The game might as well be called Tamagotchi Life because they're very close to being the same things. In fact, Tamagotchis are higher maintenance than Tomodachi Life miis.
The game itself is a very simple concept- it's a dumbed down version of Sims, or any virtual pet sim, so I get why people would find it less than appealing. It's repetitive, odd, and there's a very limited amount of actions you can do with the miis. So.. why do I have over 200 hours logged on it?
I find it pretty addicting because of that very repetitive nature. I have most of my irl friends as miis along side some fictional game and/or anime characters. It's just entertaining to see how they interact with one another, what they like and dislike, and whether or not they match the person they were modeled after. It's also funny when one of your friends decides to marry SpongeBob and their kids look horrendous.
The game itself, though it runs in real-time, is really low maintenance. You can aspire to be the best of the best, but nothing bad happens if you decide to leave it for 50 years. Sure it doesn't require any skill, but neither do most other nintendo games(shots fired) it's a great way to relieve some boredom. I thoroughly enjoy playing Tomodachi Life, but I can see why some people wouldn't like the simplicity of it all.

Like Switch Forum!

Advertisements